[mod_python] Headers not being sent when input/output is over a certain size

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Wed Aug 29 05:55:20 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
> Do you get a content length header if you enable the Apache
> CONTENT_LENGTH output filter?

I haven't actually tried that, but is it really relevant? The fact is that
what I'm seeing is that Content-Length *and* Content-Type does get properly
set when the request has a small size, but not when it goes over a certain
size. I'm suspecting on the 'automatically send the headers on first
write()' feature, but haven't dug enough to have 100% confidence that is the
issue.

> Part of the problem may be that output filters in Apache are a
> resource filter and are only possibly supposed to operate on the
> actual body content. I'm not sure if resource filters are supposed to
> be able to operate on headers.

Could be, but that would not explain why it does work for small requests.

> The CONTENT_LENGTH output filter for example which does operate on
> headers, is registered as a protocol filter and not a resource filter.
>
> I don't have the time to investigate this now, but might be able to
> look at what the differences are later and whether you can even set
> headers in mod_python output filters.

I will give CONTENT_LENGTH a try later this week. Leaving home to attend the
3rd PyConBrasil right now.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems, Inc.