[mod_python] Re: Mod_python Digest, Vol 42, Issue 4

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 14 22:25:50 EDT 2006

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote ..
>
>>Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>>
>>>In respect of AddHandler, SetHandler, MultiViews etc, you need to  realise
>>>that mod_python is an extension for Apache. Thus, such things like this
>>>aren't actually implemented by mod_python but are implemented
>>>by Apache. To use mod_python properly, you also need to understand
>>>Apache to some degree and that means also referring to the Apache
>>>documentation.
>>>

>>Which, IMHO, is even more obscurantist than the mod_python
>>documentation. It seems to assume you've already read much of the source
>>code and are familiar with C ... in which case why would you be using
>>mod_python in the first place :-) ?
>

> As Jim effectively commented, mod_python is more than just a jumping off
> point for a content handler. It is quite sad (and frustrating) at times to see
> that more often than not people ignore all the richness that Apache offers.
> They just want to use Python for absolutely everything when there are other
> modules or features provided by Apache that could be used in conjunction
> with mod_python and their own Python code to get the job done quicker and
> more efficiently. More than anything else, this is why mod_python development
> has languished, because the majority of people cant seem to see the bigger
> picture. It is only with mod_python 3.3 that one will be able to finally do
> with mod_python what mod_perl people have had for years and even then
> we still don't go anywhere near as far as they do in being able to harness
> the full power of Apache.

That's great. However, those of us who aren't particularly clued in to
Apache find it difficult to locate appropriate documentation: and I
*have* tried - there just doesn't seem to be that much introductory
documentation. Or I am crap at searching, perhaps.

> Anyway, that is my grumpy rant for this week.

We're all entitled to the occasional one.

> In respect of AddHandler/SetHandler/MultiViews, I now have a article of
> my own up on my still not officially launched personal wiki pages about it.
>
>   http://www.dscpl.com.au/wiki/ModPython/Articles/SetHandlerVersusAddHandler
>
> This has been referenced on the developers list, but not here as yet.

It looks like there's a lot more information there than simply
discussing the difference between AddHandler and Sethandler. I'll give
it a serious read - thanks!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119