[mod_python] threads and FreeBSD: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so the same as --enable-threads?

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Fri Sep 1 16:58:56 EDT 2006

Hey all,

I'm installing mod_python 3.2.10 on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE w/ Apache
2.0.55. I hit the 'Undefined symbol "pthread_attr_init"' problem, and
have dug through the docs and lists trying to piece together the best
answer. Afaict, the options are three:

   1. add "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so" to Apache's envvars
   2. compile Apache with --enable-threads
   3. compile Python --without-threads

I don't want to choose #2 because of other doc I've found. My question
is whether #1 (which appears to be the "official" answer) is basically
the same as #2?

Thanks.

chad