[mod_python] Using mod_python with two applications fails onFedoraCore 4, works on Window/XP

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Thu Oct 19 21:07:42 EDT 2006

Roger wrote ..
> > The messages in the error log file do not show the process ID for the
> Apache
> > child process that performed the import. Nor do they distinguish between
> an
> > initial load and a reload, nor which Python interpreter instance performed
> the
> > load. FWIW, both all issues are addressed in mod_python 3.3.
> >
> > Why this is important is that if you are using Apache in prefork mode,
> whereby
> > there are multiple Apache child processes, you may be confusing messages
> > generated from different Apache child processes as indicating that a
> module is
> > being reloaded on ever request. Instead, all that may be happening is
> that each
> > request is going to a different Apache child process and it takes a while
> > before all Apache child processes have been involved in handling a request
> for
> > that application and before the messages stop appearing.
> >

> You are correct, I was confused by the messages from the multiple child
> processes.  A curiosity is my Windows/XP test system seems to reuse the
> same child process until it needs another and the Fedora Core system
> seems to cycle through all the child processes and uses a different one
> with each new request.

You might read:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/wiki/ModPython/Articles/TheProcessInterpreterModel

This gives a bit of background on the different Apache MPM models. On
Win32 there is only one process that handles all requests. On UNIX there
can be more than one, with each process possibly handling concurrent
requests depending on the configuration.