[mod_python] MySQLDb or SQLObject connection pooling snippet wanted

Mike Looijmans nlv11281 at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Oct 13 07:35:11 EDT 2006

For MySQL, I found that the best approach to connection pooling was "not".

I could not conclude any performance difference opening the same page a few thousand times which
executed a single SELECT returning a single row with a (mutexed) singleton connection, with a pooled
set or just connecting for every request. Apparently, the overhead of calling MySQLdb.connect() is
neglegible compared to all the other stuff that happens (i did this on a SUN Solaris 2.6 running
Apache 2.0 with worker threads).

The best performance gain is to put the SQL database on the same host and use a UNIX socket (not
TCP) or a named pipe (on Windows NT) for the connection. I also improved security this way: No one
can access the MySQL DB from outside the webserver, even if they have the password.

NOTE: This only goes for MySQL. Other DBMS will behave completely different.

Mike Looijmans
Philips Natlab / Topic Automation