[mod_python] Accesshandler and normal handler... how they working ?

durumdara durumdara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:31:25 EST 2006

Hi !

Interesting. Your example about Request Data Sharing sometimes working,
and sometimes not.
I don't understand why !
In my little test site it is working good.
But when I put these sharing technics in the main site, then Apache said
that Object member does not exists on mp_request.

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\mod_python\apache.py", line 299, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

  File "c:/web/zeusweb/htdocs\__handler.py", line 6, in handler
    RequestObject = req.Object

AttributeError: 'mp_request' object has no attribute 'Object'

It is very interesting, because I set this variable on the access handler.

def accesshandler(Request):
    hmod = apache.import_module("CustomHandler")
    siteroot = os.path.dirname(__file__)
    return hmod.CommonAccessHandler(Request, "ZeusWebHandler", siteroot)

def CommonAccessHandler(Request, HandlerModuleName, SiteRoot):
    zhmod = apache.import_module(HandlerModuleName)
    try:
        ROClass = zhmod.GetRequestObjectClass()
        RequestObject = ROClass(Request, SiteRoot)
        Request.Object = RequestObject # <===== here I set it !
        RequestObject.CheckLogin()
        valid = RequestObject.HaveUserRightTo(Request.filename)
        if valid:
            return apache.OK
        else:
            return apache.HTTP_FORBIDDEN
    except:
        dwtools = apache.import_module("dwtools")
        excmsg = dwtools.GetLastExcText()
        Request.log_error(excmsg, apache.APLOG_ERR)
    return apache.HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

Interesting, because it's working recently ! In same site !
Possible it's caused by virtual hosting and more site handlers ??? I
don't know.

But I need solution.

Please help me !

I thinking about that I not used direct filenames on protectable content
(anydata.pdf).
If I use "aliases", I can check them in the handler, and I can rewrite
them as stream, if use have enough rights to it.
In this time I can use accesshandler to deny accesses without rights. If
rights are enough, I simply send apache.OK, and apache get back the
content, handle the file types (PDF, XLS, etc.).

But if accesshandler cannot share data with handler safely, I need to
drop accesshandler, and I need to handle all request with my handler.
This is not too hard with simple content, but problematic with big,
protected, special files, example _*private*_ PDF-s, Pictures, other
contents.
(I remember that in zope I must rename the dynamic image retreiver
script to ".jpg" to Windows client handle the data correctly what the
script provided.)

How to you do this ? How can I protect some areas ? How to I support the
file downloading with protection ?

Thanks for your help:
    dd