[mod_python] XP 3.2.8 install problem.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Nov 13 16:17:28 EST 2006

Sells, Fred wrote ..
> Tring to get compatible installation between my XP notebook and corporate
> RedHat server.
>
> Both are apache 2.0, Python 2.3.  under XP I've installed mod_python 3.2.8
> using the mod_python-3.2.8.win32-py2.3.exe.  There is a mod_python.so file
> in the modules directory with a date of 2/20/06 (I just installed today?)
> with a size of 81,920 bytes.
>
> When I add the following to httpd.conf (it is on line 173),
>
> LoadModule mod_python modules/mod_python.so
>
> I get this error when starting Apache
>
> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>apache
> Syntax error on line 173 of C:/Program Files/Apache
> Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Can't locate API module structure `mod_python' in file C:/Program
> Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_python.so:
> No error
>
> I have no idea where to go or what to try next.

Search back through the mailing list archives using the search box on
the mod_python web site for ideas.

Typical problems are:

- Can't find the MS C/C++ runtime library required by that version
of mod_python. This may be because it isn't installed, not in the
path or not got correct permissions access if running Apache as a
specific user.

- Using an incompatible version of Apache for mod_python version
being used. This might occur if you are using very latest Apache 2.0.X
as there were changes with version of Apache runtime library used.
You may have to use a slightly older version of Apache 2.0.X.

- Registry entries for Python are wrong and it can't find mod_python
Python bits. This usually though results in some errors in Apache
error log though.