[mod_python] Re: installing xp problems

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Nov 7 18:09:36 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote ..
> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > Steve Holden wrote ..

> >>I can't say, as I haven't tried it yet (not wanting to overwrite my
> >>existing, functional mod_python). Observing that my site-packages
> >>directory contained a mod_python directory which contained (among other
> >>things) an apache.py and a publisher.py was quite enough to have me hit
> >>the brake.
> >>
> >>Won't that directory be used by both mod_pythons?
> >

> > Yes, the same site packages directory is used by both if same Python
> > version.
> >
> > FWIW, on Mac OS X I have both Apache 2.0 and 2.2 running at times
> > with both using same Python version and each using same version
> > of mod_python. I haven't specifically had any problems.
>
> Thanks. The mod_python I am currently running was probably installed
> when Apache 2.0.48 was current, so I'll definitely need an upgrade. I
> had previously thought that there was a distinct cutover point where
> mod_python stopped working in 2.0, so I'm happy to know this isn't the
> case (though I've been bitten before with Apache module inconsistency
> problems: for 2.0, at least on Windows, ISTR that modules had to be
> compiled for the exact Apache version in use - but that *was* a long
> time ago, so I may be suffering from CRS).

The mod_python Apache module does have to be compiled for the major/minor
version of Apache being used, preferably the same patch level version of Apache
but, but as a general rule of thumb, small differences in Apache patch level
version usually don't hurt as long as mod_python module being used was compiled
against an older patch level version and not some newer patch level version
than the Apache that you are running. The only caveat to this might be where
Apache switches which version of the underlying APR libraries it uses. In that
case a recompile of mod_python module would be needed in case dependencies
against old APR don't work for new. If I recall properly, there was an APR version
change in 2.0.X recently so that might be what you are thinking of.