[mod_python] Just finished installing mod_python, and boy are my arms tired

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri Nov 3 19:39:10 EST 2006

On 04/11/2006, at 7:30 AM, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> Cavanagh, Sean (Sean) wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I just wanted to mention a couple of un-documented hiccups that
>> tripped
>> me up during compile.  1.	Seems that mod_python needs an up-to-
>> date flex; I had to upgrade
>> to  2.5.33  (For the record, this is in the readme file, but not the
>> html docs)
>
> Incorrect. Flex is listed in the index, and the flex requirement is
> detailed in the docs.
> http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/inst-
> configure.html#l2h-12
>
> As explained in the docs, you generally don't need flex unless you
> modify with the psp_parser.l file. Unless you are using mod_python
> < 3.2, configure will issue a warning about the wrong flex, but
> will still proceed.

With the caveat that if you check out source code from subversion
rather than use the tarball, you usually need to go:

   touch src/psp_parser.c

to stop make wanting to rebuild it from the lex input file. This is
because the checkout often seems to leave the modification time
such that it isn't seen as being newer that then lex input file.

Even if using the tarball and somehow the timestamps get mucked
up, you can do the same thing.