[mod_python] Strange Issue with modules "disappearing" while server is running.

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:44:46 EDT 2006

On 5/17/06, jarrod roberson <jarrod at vertigrated.com> wrote:
> we are having issues where we get WARNING "The xmllib module is obsolete.
> Use xml.sax instead." while the server is running.
> it doesn't happen at start up, only sporatically. as it works find for a
> while, then throws this warning, sometimes like crazy then works find for a
> while again.
> we are using the xmlrpclib to make calls to an external service.
> we can't figure out why mod_python is not caching this module, or the
> pyexpat module that it can't find.

Sporadic issues like this are often caused by using a forking-style
Apache MPM.  Each Apache process (and thus mod_python
environment) is separate.  A module imported into one process is
not automatically imported into the other ones.

So it could be that the appropriate module has already been imported
into one of the processes (perhaps by the sequence through which
you click through your pages), but not in others.

Also you may have other mod_python based applications running
which are importing conflicting modules, etc.  You can always try
to use the PythonInterpreter option to isolate your own modules
if you think that is an issue.
--
Deron Meranda