[mod_python] undefined symbol: apr_table_compress ??

hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 17 08:59:25 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:35:34AM -0400, Jim Gallacher wrote:
> hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk wrote:
> >I've just come across the problem defined below using mod_python
> >3.2.8. After some hunting around, it transpires that the problem is
> >that the installed APR has been stripped (we're using Red Hat) as
> >described very nicely at:
> >
> >http://search.cpan.org/dist/mod_perl/docs/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.pod#undefined_symbol%3A_apr_table_compress
> >
> >The attached patch to the 3.2.8 configure.in file seemed to catch the
> >error (autoconf needs to be run after applying this). After looking at
> >
> >http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-February/020286.html
> >
> >some better solution using apr-config might be better to ensure that
> >APR is as required.
> >

> The fact that the library is stripped is not relevant to your problem.
> All the libs on Debian are stripped and everything works fine for me.
> Stripping just removes debugging symbols, making the lib smaller on disk
> and in memory.
>
> I took a quick glance at the debian src for apache 2.0.55, and it looks
> like apr_table_compress was added in apr 0.9.4, so you might want to
> check your apr version with
>
> $ apr-config --version
>
> I'm not sure when we started to use apr_table_compress, but I have a
> feeling this may have been done in 3.2.x to fix a bug. I don't have time
> to investigate right now, but I will check the svn logs tonight.

Thanks - reading the replie from Graham and yourself and looking at

http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-February/020280.html

brings me to the same conclusion as the Nicolas; we should add some
warning that mod_python >=3.2.7 only supports Apache 2.0.47 and later
versions.

I've run all the relevant ldd checks etc. and am using apr-0.9.4 but
with Apache/2.0.46 - so upgrading apache to 2.0.47 would apparently
solve the problem.

Kind regards,

Homme.