[mod_python] undefined symbol: apr_table_compress ??

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed May 17 08:43:58 EDT 2006

That the APR library has been stripped is not the problem in itself
as the symbol should still be in there, you just may not be able to see
it on some platforms when using nm. The real problem is probably
that the wrong APR library version has been used and the symbol
was not in the library, stripped or not stripped. Thus the real essence
of what the web page you refer to is telling you is to ensure the
correct
APR library version is used when mod_perl (mod_python in our
case) is being built. In practice this should not be an issue if the
correct
version of apxs is found when configuring mod_python source code.
If not finding the correct version, the --with-apxs option can be used
to configure. But then, if your runtime library search path causes
Apache to still pick up the wrong version when run, you'll still have
problems.

Thus, also determine if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in environment which
Apache runs under. With that same value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
set and exported, run "ldd" on "httpd" binary to see what APR library
is being found. Work out what version that library may be. Work out
if this is the version that it should be using based on what Apache was
built against. If they are different, that will be the more probable
cause.

Graham