[mod_python] PythonAuthzHandler not working

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri May 5 08:32:42 EDT 2006

On 05/05/2006, at 10:21 PM, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> On 24/04/2006, at 1:50 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>>> Jim Gallacher wrote ..

>>> I've noted the PythonAuthenHandler code in python_handler many
>>> times and
>>> although I need to go back and look at it again I have been thinking
>>> that that section of code may possibly be partly bogus and
>>> shouldn't be
>>> in there. The warning message about req.user not being set is
>>> possibly
>>> helpful, but why should mod_python be making a decision to change an
>>> unauthorized response back to a declined and why should it be
>>> generating
>>> a WWW-Authenticate header with an assumption that Basic
>>> authorisation
>>> is being used when it may well not be. What is going to happen if
>>> I write
>>> an authenhandler for Digest authentication and it returns
>>> unauthorised,
>>> mod_python will obliterate any WWW-Authenticate header I may have
>>> placed there specific to Digest authentication.
>>>
>>> Thus I don't necessarily think it is a case of amending it some
>>> way, it
>>> may be a case of obliterating it and make people do the correct
>>> thing
>>> in their handlers to begin with rather than providing a crutch to
>>> fix their
>>> omissions. This may mean adding means of calling further auth
>>> related
>>> functions through the req object if there is something missing now,
>>> such as access to ap_note_basic_auth_failure().
>> FWIW, my concerns about something being a bit wrong with the code
>> are a
>> baseless in as much as ap_note_basic_auth_failure() only adds the
>> header
>> is AuthType is set to Basic. Thus it cant obliterate a Digest header.
>
> That is incorrect. ap_note_basic_auth_failure() checks if the auth
> type is "Basic". If so it sets the headers, otherwise it calls
> ap_note_auth_failure(). ap_note_auth_failure() also checks the auth
> type and will either call ap_note_basic_auth_failure if the type is
> "Basic", ap_note_digest_auth_failure() if the type is "Digest" or
> else just log an error.
>
> ap_note_digest_auth_failure will sets the headers appropriately for
> digest authentication.
>
> This doesn't mean we are correct in calling
> ap_note_basic_auth_failure, but doing so will not cause any
> problems as long as the AuthType is set properly.

Me wrong. If this call is going to be made then, it may as well call
ap_note_auth_failure()
then instead of ap_note_basic_auth_failure(). At least then it is
obvious.

Anyway, makes sense now as I was seeing warning in error log of:

   need AuthType to note auth failure

which is generated by ap_note_auth_failure() when AuthType not set. I
think I
somehow convinced myself at one point that I didn't see it and it
must have been
from something else I was doing.

Too tired. Which makes me think I better not commit this code I was
about to commit
for something else. :-)

BTW, what do you think of:

   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-169

Time for sleep me thinks. I'll see what you say tomorrow.