[mod_python] Which Database?

Mike Looijmans nlv11281 at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Mar 20 01:33:53 EST 2006

A decision for a DBMS should not be based on little syntactic
differences. In the end, no DB is compatible with any other, and the
overvalued holy grail of database engine independence is never found.
And though I've seen many projects with that grail high in their
requirements and design, I have never ever seen one actually switch DBMS
- projects tend to stick to the choice. In the end, technical
differences aren't that big.

A decision for a DBMS should be based on specific features, tools and
support. I have used many DBMS systems, including Informix, Oracle,
SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and more. They all have their strengths
and weaknesses.

The reason I mention MySQL is not that it's my personal favorite, but
because it is a mature engine, cheap, well supported, and will give
little problems during startup. It is also very transparent, which is a
big plus for starting with "home" development.

In the end, it really won't make a big difference which one you choose.
Pick the one that seems readily available. If you're inexperienced with
managing a database, pick the one your neighbour is using so that he may
help you in getting things running easily.

Any "Which DB" post in any newsgroup tends to result in long lasting
discussions, which is indication enough that all the products are at
comparable levels.

--
Mike Looijmans
Philips Natlab / Topic Automation