[mod_python] Which Database?

Dave Britton dave at davebritton.com
Fri Mar 17 09:13:15 EST 2006

I use MySQL with the Dustman MySQLdb interface, for example a typical mod_python publisher delivered module might have:
=======================
from MySQLdb import *
def csql():
 dbc=connect('localhost', 'mysqluser')
 c=cursors.DictCursor(dbc)
 c.execute("use thisdatabase")
 return (c, dbc)
#
def index(req,userid=''):
  c,dbc=csql()
  if userid=='':
      userid=getnewlogin() # assigns a new userid string
  c.execute("select * from userdata where userid=%s",(userid))
  userdata=c.fetchone()
  dbc.close()
  if userdata.has_key('userfirstname'):
      return "Hello, %s"%userdata['userfirstname']
  else:
      return ("Unrecognized user id")
It all seems pretty easy once I figured out how to do it, but I have always felt that SQL is a sad abomination, designed by IBM to create legions of database administrators. I wish there was a solid multiuser-safe object-oriented database or even a good procedural language relational DB like dBASE use to be.
-Dave