[mod_python] problem setting up mod_python under Ubuntu Breezy

Dan Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 15:34:53 EST 2006

Hi all,
I'm having trouble getting mod_python to work under Ubuntu Breezy.
I'm using Apache 1.3.33 with mod_python 2.7.10, Python 2.4.1a0, all
the default packages for the distribution basically.

I'm having the "could not import module mod_python.apache" problem,
which appears to be quite a classic :-)  I'm following along with
Graham Dumpleton's "Getting mod_python Working" guide, and created a
little mptest.py script.  When I try to load the mptest.py script, I
get a 500 error from Apache, and the following in my error log:

make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.
make_obcallback(): could not call init.
[Thu Mar  2 14:55:22 2006] [error] [client] python_handler: make_ob
callback returned no obCallBack!

Note that these DO NOT occur when Apache starts up!!  They don't occur
until I try to load the offending page.  My httpd.conf includes the

  <Directory /var/www/python>
    AddHandler python-program .py
    PythonHandler mptest
    PythonDebug On

Does anyone have any advice?  I have python 2.4 installed on my system
(not 2.2, 2.3, or anything else).  So I think it's not the problem
described here:
I've tried starting Apache in single-process mode with
PYTHONHOME="/usr", since all the python modules are stored under

All to no avail.  I'm completely stumped.  I've read a pretty good
chunk of the FAQ, and googled lots of other threads on similar topics.
 Any hints?  Thanks,

Dan Lenski
(Physics grad student at U of Maryland)