[mod_python] Unicode Oddity

Robert Synnott rsynnott at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:31:27 EDT 2006

I'm having a bit of trouble with Unicode. On a linux system, python 2.4.2,
mod_python 3.2.8, inputting and outputting unicode strings to and from a
mysql database works perfectly, with no particular extra work except
use_unicode=True in the mysqldb parameters. Also, unicode values from a .py
file can be outputted happily.

However, when I try the same software on a MacOS X machine, same versions of
python and mod_python, I get 'UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode
characters in...'

Is there anything special I should be doing to handle unicode? Any idea why
I'm seeing this error?
Thanks
Rob