[mod_python] PSP

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Thu Jul 27 09:25:41 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm using PSP as a template engine (with SQLAlchemy and a home-made
handler).

One thing which is _VERY_ annoying in PSP is that if a variable doesn't
exist in the current global namespace, the script fails with a stack
trace ... rather than output a blank for example.

I had resolved this problem partially with a custom function (a sort of
templatetag) : http://rafb.net/paste/results/0BqTEk48.html
With this function I could do things like <%=
access('invasive.scientific_name.name', globals()) %>, however this
doesn't work with SQLAlchemy because the variable doesn't exists in the
current namespace until it has been accessed (to avoid useless database
accesses) ...

I think it will be a good idea to have a sort of access() function in
the next mod_python release which output a blank (or ...) if the
variable doesn't exist ..

Does anyone has an elegant solution to resolve this problem (other than
a <% try: %> .... <% except: %> ... ?

Thanks,
Julien

--