[mod_python] what's the best way to configure mod_python?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Sun Jul 2 15:05:15 EDT 2006

Diogo Pitz wrote:

> I've put this lines in my .conf apache file:
>
> <Directory "C:\arquivos_diogo\python">
>         AddHandler mod_python .py
>         PythonHandler Script1
>         PythonDebug On
> </Directory>

Delete that.

> <Directory "C:\arquivos_diogo\python">
>     AddHandler mod_python .py
>     PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
>     PythonDebug On
> </Directory>

OK.

> with this I have my codes working, but not in the way I want.
> I have a .py file called helloworld.py, and this is its code:
>
> from mod_python import apache
>
> def handler(req):
>     req.content_type = 'text/plain'
>     req.write("Hello World!")
>     return apache.OK

Delete all of that and replace it with this:

def index():
     return "Hello, World!"

> to see "Hello World" in my browser, I have to type
> http://localhost/python/helloworld.py/handler .

With the new settings, you can access it in the following ways:

  http://host/python/helloworld.py/
  http://host/python/helloworld.py/index

mod_python.publisher must point to a function within your module, unless
there is an index() function.

> and one more question, can I write a html file in python, like this?

If you use Publisher, you can just construct an HTML page as a string
and return it from your function. Publisher will do the rest.

> or mod_python doesn't allow me to make this? if it doesn't, what
> solution can be used to do it?

Read the manual and try to understand Publisher a bit. If it doesn't fit
your needs, explore writing your own handler.