[mod_python] Google Groups ?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Jan 17 00:52:13 EST 2006

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote ..
> Hello there!
>
> I am new to the list and I spent two days struggling with mod_python (installation,
> configuration, etc, etc...)
> While searching for information, I saw that someone started a Google Group
> for Mod-python, but it seems innactive.
> Wouldn't it be better if everybody starts using it?

Gatewaying message to Google groups or something like that was discussed
previously and it was decided not to do it. Reasons were partly technical and
probably partly apathy. In the main, most people probably simply perfered
it as email.

> Searching for info in this mailing list is a pain in the neck... no way
> to navigate threads, no way to search archives, etc...

You can search from the mod_python home page. The search will actually
do the whole mod_python web site, including FAQ as well. When I want to
restrict to just the mailing list I use 'inurl:pipermail' in the search term, eg:

  inurl:pipermail core dump

Yields Google search of:

  http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Apipermail+core+dump&q=site%3Awww.modpython.org

Viewing my month/thread/author/date can be found at:

  http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/

You had probably found that one already though. Not perfect, but works.

> I've seen that many others mailing lits (python related) moved to Google
> Groups and the result was great.
> As for the existing archives, we could simply put a link to the new Group
> and leave the existing archives for reading only.
>
> I really believe it will be a very good change for everybody interested
> in mod_python.
> Just think about all the questions that are asked over and over again because
> nobody can find the previous ones...

Actually, most of the time we find that people ask questions because they
couldn't be bothered to go look for answers first. If you actually did a search
first, then you are possibly in the minority.

What is a probably the biggest pain as far as I am concerned, is that when
people do ask questions and we supply possible answers, they never post
back to confirm whether the solution did solve the problem. Lacking this
positive response, one never knows if one is actually giving helpful or correct
answers which other people can rely on if they do find the mailing list archive.
Most frustrating. :-(