[mod_python] Reg Word Document Reading

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas at lehuen.com
Fri Feb 24 01:39:59 EST 2006

Hi,

This has *nothing* to do whatsoever with mod_python. Nothing. Please
ask this on comp.lang.python, where you should receive half a dozen
response in a  quite short time.

A pretty simple way to access comp.lang.python if you don't know ho
newsgroup work is to  use Google Groups :

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python

After writing that, I shouldn't help you, as it will only make you
keep asking irrelevant questions here, but hey, I'm only human, so
I'll give you a few pointers.

 .doc files are opaque, binary files, so you cannot read them as
easily as plain text files. You have to use the Word API, which is
exposed as COM objects, with the pywin32 modules.

Now, behold the power of Google :

http://www.google.com/search?q=word+COM+python

A few clicks here and there take me to this page :

http://wikipython.flibuste.net/moin.py/CodeWindows

It's French but I guess I could have seen this elsewhere :

import win32com.client

word = win32com.client.Dispatch("Word.Application")
word.Documents.Open("D:/partage/python/wordtxt/test.doc") # full path needed
text = word.ActiveDocument.content.text
word.Documents.Close()

text = text.encode('Latin-1')

print text

Regards,
Nicolas

P.S. since you've been asking quite a few questions on this list,
having something like part of your real name would be nice - I cannot
be brought to start a mail by "Hello, Python Eager !", which looks
plain stupid.