[mod_python] Re: forks, daemons, and other beasts

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun Feb 12 06:15:13 EST 2006

On 12/02/2006, at 10:03 PM, Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> One more thought: it seems that if MaxRequestsPerChild is 1, then
> anything threaded from the script handling the request will die when
> the script ends, but if MaxRequestsPerChild is N > 1, then it doesn't
> die, so everything seems to be okay. But what if the request is
> exactly the Nth for that particular child, then it will be the same as
> before, and the thread will die, won't it?

Correct. That is why I suggested it be done in an external persistent
daemon process in the first place. You can't guarantee that Apache
will not decide to kill off its child processes. Here you illustrate the
problem for where MaxRequestPerChild is used, but it can also kill
off child processes if it has excess child processes over some limit
as well and the child processes are being under utilised.