[mod_python] Install mod_python without being root?

Sean Jamieson sean at barriescene.com
Tue Feb 7 14:27:23 EST 2006

You can't install a module to your hosted server's apache instance,
unless you have enough permissions to alter the httpd.conf for the
server, and restart it.  (you'd also need write access to the modules
directory, which you would probably have anyway, if you could edit
httpd.conf)

If you were to try to run your own instance of apache, you'd have to use
a port above 1024 (8080 is common)
and you would also have to make sure that it continues running after you
logout (usually your background processes are terminated) you can use
the nohup command for this.

of course this is all assuming you even have SSH or some kind of shell
access....

Sean