[mod_python] Module importer issues list updated.

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs at ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Fri Feb 3 06:07:40 EST 2006

Hi Graham,

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> In preparation of mod_python 3.2.X (final) being not too far away, I
> have updated my article on module importer issues in mod_python with
> references to changes in 3.2. The two articles related to the module
> importer, the first being background and the second being the list of
> issues, can be found at:
>
>   http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-002.html

After reading "Auto Reload Mechanism" section and especially
<quote>
If the importing of the module by an explicit call to the "import_module()"
function is performed at global scope within a module, whether the child
module has changed and whether it needs to be reimported, is only
determined at the time that the parent module is first imported and
when the parent module is subsequently reimported.
</quote>

I am not certain what happens when using normal python import()
function and I for example changed only some of those child modules.
Will they be reloaded? It is probbly answered by the first paragraph in
the section cited above, but am not certain.

I think it would be nice if you'd include what is usually the IO penalty
for all those stat() calls to determine whether a module has changed
or not. Maybe I'd happily use in some cases
PythonAutoReload false
in my .htaccess.

>   http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-003.html

Have to read this now. ;-)