[mod_python] focus on shared hosting?

Clodoaldo clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 18:11:18 EST 2006

2006/12/22, Erik Thompson <mrlobster99 at gmail.com>:

> > I've come to accept that the sweet spot for mod_python is somewhat
> > higher up the food chain from cheap shared hosting. Mod_python will come
> > into it's own as server virtualization becomes the rule for website
> hosting.

I don't see virtual hosts becoming the rule. Most of the shared host
users are in a shared host not only for the price but mainly for the
administrationless environment. They want one click install of forums,
CMSs, blogs, wikis, etc.

If we are talking about world domination it is necessary that mod_X be
installed by default by the shared host admins. Only then Python web
applications will have a chance against PHP applications. Otherwise
web Python will continue to be a niche tool comprised of Python
programmers with server administration expertise.

> I'm finding this to be true.  Unable to afford a dedicated server or find
> any support among the cheapest shared servers I've pretty much settled on
> trying a virtual dedicated server.  This isn't meant to be an advertisement
> but  $30/month U.S. at GoDaddy is probably cheap enough for much of the
> mainstream developers to handle especially since it supposedly comes with
> full control to host multiple website, etc.  The only problem is that
> setting it up may be a challenge but a screencast could help with that as
> well.

Clodoaldo Pinto Neto