[mod_python] Protecting Image-Directory's with PythonAccessHandler

Marcus Werner travis at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Dec 21 16:37:18 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Debian-Stable Box with mod_python 2.7.10 and Python
2.3 (yes I know its both 'stale', but I've got no choice) and I would
like to know _how_ I can protect an images-directory with an
PythonAccessHandler together with my application-/session-based
authentification. A bonus would be If I could decide access to specific
images bases on user-permissions.

I know this is a tricky problem, and in PHP you would have to place the
images somewhere inaccessible from the web and stream them through php
to the client, after checking the credentials. If we assume mod_php is
tuned to serve this fast the performance should be fair, but there is
still a small performance-loss because the image is streamed
through the PHP-Interpreter.

Now mod_python seems to dodge this elegantly by introducing the
AccessHandler, but so far I haven't been able to produce
something like this, since the documentation regarding those special
Handler is really sparse.

If you want to attract more user you really need some examples
regarding things wich are impossible, difficult or perfomance-costly
in other languages/frameworks.
Especially for those Python*Handlers, you need _way_more_ examples, so
it's obvious why,where and when to use those Handlers. They are a huge
bonus, but regarding the documentation they haven't received the
attention they deserve.

I'm going to hold a 30-minutes presentation on mod_python 3 Weeks
from now during a seminar about scripting-languages for Web-Engineering
and  I would like to show at least _one_ convincing example why and
where to use those _special_ handlers. So far I don't know what to tell
my fellow students about thist part of mod_python. Afaik it seems like
I'm the first guy ever doing a presentation about mod_python.

I'm going to set up a more recent version of mod_python on a private
box tonight so if you have a solution/small example wich works on a more
recent version of mod_python: fire away.

Merry christmasa and best regards,
--
Marcus Werner

<travis at uni-paderborn.de>