[mod_python] Publisher and DEFLATE Filter

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Sat Dec 2 17:56:00 EST 2006

Clodoaldo wrote:
> 2006/12/2, Jorey Bump <list at joreybump.com>:
>> Clodoaldo wrote:
>>
>> > As the Publisher does not require a py extension this obviously does
>> > not work. The AddOutputFilterByType directive is said to be deprecated
>> > in the 2.2.3 manual.
>>
>> Do you have a link to that statement? I don't see it mentioned here:
>>
>>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html
>
> It is here:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#addoutputfilterbytype
>
> "Because of certain problems discussed below, this directive is
> deprecated."

Crap. Well, as long as the offical documentation for mod_deflate
describes only the old method, it should be safe to use until the docs
are updated with a new alternative. It's obviously best to operate on
MIME types instead of file extensions, but try not to get greedy. Some
browsers even have trouble dealing with compressed text/css. You'll get
a lot of mileage out of compressing text/html, text/plain, and text/xml
alone.