[mod_python] Publisher and DEFLATE Filter

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Sat Dec 2 14:25:28 EST 2006

Clodoaldo wrote:
> I want all the Publisher produced pages to be Apache DEFLATEd. So i
> added this directive to the virtual server configuration.
>
>   AddOutputFilter DEFLATE py

I use this in my main server configuration:

<IfModule deflate_module>
   # safest to enable compression based on a few mime-types
   # NOTE: compression corrupts PDF, gz files
   AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
   # logging
   DeflateFilterNote ratio
   LogFormat '%v "%!414r" %b (%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' deflate
   CustomLog /var/log/apache/deflate_log deflate
</IfModule>

> As the Publisher does not require a py extension this obviously does
> not work. The AddOutputFilterByType directive is said to be deprecated
> in the 2.2.3 manual.

Do you have a link to that statement? I don't see it mentioned here:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html

It would be a disaster to deprecate that functionality without providing
a replacement.