[mod_python] Re: Enhancements for better content negotiation

webograph webograph at eml.cc
Fri Aug 18 20:06:13 EDT 2006

hi deron,

from my understanding, this mod_python would be the preferrable place to
put such functions (even better, mod_python could use apache
functionality for this, but i don't know enough about the interaction
btwn apache and mod_python to say whether this is feasible or not)

 > * Is this something that seems useful to others?
absolutely yes! could you post it?

regards
webograph

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:30:52 GMT, Deron Meranda wrote:

> Essentially I have functions that:
>
>  1. Parse and sort any Accept-* header according to the RFC's BNF
>  2. Negotiate the best content type
>  3. Negotiate the best language
>  4. Negotiate the best encoding
>  5. Negotiate the best charset
>
> It also knows how to handle wildcards, hierarchical language tags,
> charset name aliases, etc.  And you can tell it to ignore the "super"
> wildcards like */* too.
>
> As a quick example you can do something like
>
>   acc = req.headers_in['Accept']
>   ct = acceptable_content_type( acc, ['text/html','application/xhtml+xml'] )
>
> and it will tell you which of the two formats the browser supports/prefers,
> if either, according to all the complex rules in the RFC.
>
> I have some preliminary questions:
>
> * Is this something that seems useful to others?
> * Is mod_python util a preferable place to consider putting these,
> or maybe this should perhaps go to something larger like
> WSGI or some other Web-SIG project?

(sorry for faking this reply -- i found the original mail in the http
archive)