[mod_python] server shutdown [was] i beg...

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Aug 18 13:45:55 EDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 06:19:41PM +0100, Richard Lewis wrote:
> On Friday 18 August 2006 19:26, Norman Tindall wrote:
> >     Don`t know how about publisher and PSP, but in handler
> >     you always can at the end of processing, just before
> >     return apache.OK close connection
> Yes, but I want to avoid opening and closing the connection to Berkeley DB XML
> for /every/ request as its quite slow to connect. Thats why I open it when
> the server starts and wanted to be able to close it when the server shuts
> down.

I've thought about these issues and was wondering if it would be
better to pre-create the data base connection, and maybe even the
cursor in a completely separate process. Then have modpython
communicate to it via a simple local socket. I assume there still is
overhead when create a local socket -- but it might be less then a
data base connection.

It might be tempting to want to layer a whole new light protocol on
top of that when sending data to the socket -- but maybe sending a
simple python pickle would be enough.

As a side, is there any difference in communicating via a socket and a
unix pipe?
--
David Bear
phone: 	602-496-0424