[mod_python] Server Side Printing

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Aug 12 17:45:45 EDT 2006

On 12/08/2006, at 10:29 PM, S.R.Pardá wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Thank You Very Much, Graham.
>
> That looks a way to the solution.
>
> You understand me, and like you pointed, the idea is to print
> content on
> the fly.
>
> And now you will understand I want to use HTML because at this
> moment I
> would prefer not to get inside on another Page Description language to
> generate the documents.
> I know HTML itsn't WYSIWYG but in a Server Side printing environment I
> can have it controled, and I can change later to another document
> format
> if needed with more time to develop it. So I will try html2ps first
> before pdf2ps.
>
> I will investigate further.
> I wonder if mod_python can get the own page as the onthefly source
> after
> send the request.
> Or if the file can be something like:
> "http://server/printableBill.psp?num=0248;"

It is a more advanced area of mod_python but what you could do is
install
an output filter to capture the HTML which is actually being sent
back to
the client.

What you would do is in the request handler, you would set some special
header in the output, for example 'X-Printer'. The output filter when
called
the first time could look for this header. If it doesn't see it, it
would simply
call filter.pass_on() and thus it would ignore the response content.
If the
header is there, it could take the value of the header as the printer
name,
save that away and then accumulate the content of the response until
it is
complete. When it has the whole content, it could send it through
html2ps
and then also write it back to the client.

Thus have a look at output filters. Ensure you search back through the
mailing list archive as they have been good boiler plate examples posted
before for how to use it.

Graham