[mod_python] Upload progress indicator shows after upload?

Colin Bean ccbean at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:05:44 EDT 2006

Definitely, I should have mentioned that the communication between the
filter and the handler would be a significant problem in itself.
Hopefully my initial description was scary enough that nobody tried it
:P

I can see how an impatient user would think that a file upload wasn't
"working" if the browser didn't give them any feedback, but hopefully
anybody uploading very large files to your server can be trusted
understand the delay, or at least read some instructions that you
provide for them.

Enough veering off topic; but I think part of the point here is that
any kind of progress bar like this is limited by the way HTTP file
uploads work, so this isn't really specific to mod_python. If a
framework somewhere provides an upload bar (using HTTP / HTML, at
least), it seems like it would have to use a kludge similar to what I
described above.  Correct me if I'm wrong...

-Colin