[mod_python] libxml2 and libxslt in mod_python

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Aug 2 21:05:31 EDT 2006

Robert Synnott wrote ..
> On 8/3/06, Diego Guillen <adsldieg at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > Thanks Graham, for pointing to the answer.
> > Yes, I was not restarting Apache. [I didn't consider it necessary,
> > because normally in PHP5 I don't need to do this]
> > I'll read what you suggest.
> > Thanks again,
> >    Diego
> You still probably shouldn't NEED to restart it; there are other ways.
> Your handler will be reloaded anyway. If you have an arrangement like:
> if DEBUG:
>     reload(mymodule1)
>     reload(mymodule2)

In general you should not use "reload" as it has similar problems to
the current module loader. Namely, it will reload in top of an existing
module as far as I know, which means potential loss of access to
resources and subsequent resource leaks, deleted items in the module
may not actually disappear, plus in a multithreaded MPM you might
reload on top of existing stuff while another handler is accessing
code or data in that module.

> in it, and similar for any of your own modules only imported from
> those modules, you should be okay; when the handler is reloaded
> everything else will be. You can force handler reload by doing 'touch
> myhandler.py'.

Sorry, that isn't always going to be sufficient, especially if that module
imports other modules and it is those other modules that you have
also changed.