[mod_python] Problems with mod_python after reboots

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 11:09:12 EDT 2006

On 4/29/06, Morten W. Petersen <morten at nidelven-it.no> wrote:
> I have a server which always has problems with mod_python after a
> reboot, the only workaround I've found so far is to recompile/reinstall
> mod_python and take down apache completely and start it up again.

> /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/math.so: undefined symbol: PyF
> PE_jbuf

That is certainly strange.  Usually math.so is compiled into the core
python instead of left as a dynamic loadable; but it's possible to
compile python the way you have it.  Need a little more information.

What operating system?

If this is Linux, type the following and note all "math.so" files
which are under some sort of Python directory:
    locate math.so

Aside from mod_python, have you compiled/installed anything else
yourself (Apache, Python, etc.)

Do you have more than one version of Python installed?

Which version of Python (path to the python executabl) do you use when
you recompile mod_python?

Do you have any other non-standard Apache modules installed?

Is there anything unusual with your boot process? (Perhaps some sort
of backup/recovery or mirrored filesystems?)

Can you intentionally reboot the system somtime.  Just before shutdown
compute the file checksums of both the mod_python.so module as well as
math.so.  Use sha1sum or md5sum if possible.  Then reboot and recheck
those files to see if something has changed them.
--
Deron Meranda