[mod_python] processing py-scripts with apache 1.3 and mod_python

Emanuel Rumpf x at branwelt.de
Wed Apr 5 08:37:34 EDT 2006

Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On 05/04/2006, at 2:32 AM, Colin Bean wrote:
>
>> For starters, try putting quotes around the path in the "Directory"
>> section, so:
>>     <Directory "/anydir/py/">
>

> Adding quotes should make no different. Quotes are only really required
> where path has space or other magic characters in it.
>
>> Also, chage "PythonHandler mod_python.publisher" to "SetHandler
>> mod_python.publisher".
>

> This is an incorrect suggestion as well.
>
>> Once you've done this, I don't beleive that you need the PythonPath
>> directive (since it is the same path as the publisher directory),
>> nor the "SetHandler python-program".
>>
>> This doesn't really answer your question in depth, but I beleive
>> that the "SetHandler python-program" directive is only necessisary
>> in older versions(?) of mod_python, in which case you also needed  to
>> specify a "PythonHandler" directive.  In your case, the line
>> "SetHandler mod_python.publisher" should be all that's needed.
>

> He is using an older version so must use "python-program". Note that
> "python-program"
> still works in newer versions as well.
>
>> Also, posting relevant snippets of your error logs will help us to
>> diagnose further problems.
>>
>> HTH,
>> -Colin
>>

>> On 4/4/06, Emanuel Rumpf <x at branwelt.de> wrote: Hello,
>>
>> I wanted /anydir/py/test.py to be processed by mod_python
>> on apache 1.3 server, when requesting http://domain.org/py/test.py
>> (where /anydir/ is the DocumentRoot)
>>

>> No matter, what I tried, there was no success,
>> either the file was delivered as textfile-download,
>> or I got a "File not Found" error.
>>
>> my current config, which is inside a virtual host:
>>
>> <Directory /anydir/py/>
>>                 Options -FollowSymLinks +Indexes
>>                 Order allow,deny
>>                 Allow from all
>>
>>                 PythonPath "sys.path+['/anydir/py/']"
>

> No necessary to have PythonPath.
>
>>                 #PythonHandler handler_script
>>                 PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
>>
>>                 PythonDebug On
>>                 PythonInterpreter pi01
>>
>>                 #excecute those with .py extension
>>                 #AddHandler mod_python .py
>

> This should be:
>
>   AddHandler python-program .py
>
> The "mod_python" tag only works in newer versions of mod_python.
>
>>                 #excecute those with any extension
>>                 #SetHandler mod_python
>>                 # the same (?):
>>                 SetHandler python-program
>

> Don't use SetHandler, use the AddHandler line above instead else every
> request will go through mod_python and you will not be able to serve
> up static files.
>
>> </Directory>
>>

>> Any hints, how to make it working?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Emanuel
>>

>> btw:
>> What's the diffence between:
>> SetHandler mod_python
>

> Works in mod_python 3.X.
>
>> and:
> [...]
I actually got confused, because my local machine uses 3.x and the
remote one uses 2.7
The reason, why the scripts were delivered as plaintext is, that I used
the mod_python.publisher,
but 2.7 doesn't support the index -function:
http://domain.org/py/testx.py      # 3.x yes, 2.7 no
http://domain.org/py/testx.py/index      # 3.x yes, 2.7 yes

Also mod_python 2.7 has no Cookie object.
How to set cookies with 2.7 ?

Watching these problems, I hope to upgrade to apache2 soon.

Thanks for your help all
Emanuel