[mod_python] PythonImport: Can someone please draw a diagramfor this idiot?

Lee Brown administrator at leebrown.org
Thu Sep 15 00:52:20 EDT 2005

Greetings!

Under WindowsXP, you can run Apache as a stand-alone executable or as a
system process (a 'daemon,' for you penguin-floggers).  If run as a
stand-alone, it inherits the priviledges of the current user unless you
configure 'run as' (sorta like suid) to run it under a different user.
Security issues?  You bet!

If you run it as a system process, by default it will run under the built-in
pseudo-user 'system.'  This is very, very bad as 'system' has priviledges to
everywhere and everything and then some.  Just as with the stand-alone, you
can set up the system process to run under another user.  I have a user
named 'webserver' under which Apache runs; this gives me fine-grained
control over its priviledges.

Getting back to the main point, under Windows it's the same as under Linux:
whatever user the server happens to be running as needs the appropriate
permissions for the resource in question.

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown
(administrator at leebrown.org)