[mod_python] transhandler setup?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Thu Sep 1 23:07:42 EDT 2005

IR labs wrote ..

> On 2-sep-05, at 03:39, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > For an internal redirect, you probably want:
> >
> >   req.internal_redirect(req.uri+'/index.html')
> >
> > This will not send a response back to the browser and it will managed
> > internal
> > to Apache. The downside of this approach is that the same page is
> > returned
> > under two different URLs, as index.html can also be accessed directly.
> > This
> > confuses the results of search engines.
>
> How does that confuses the results of search engines? Is it not
> standard web server behavior to go look for an index.html, index.py,
> index.php or alike when a url like www.myserver.com/some/directory/ is
> requested? (I mean: huh? Does it also confuses search engines when
> there are static directories and index.html files ???)

Not confuse search engines so much, but the people who use the results.
I could also be wrong, but I would have thought that for the same search
time you would get back two matching URLs. Ie '/' and '/index.html'.
Ahhh, but then if the web server returns a Location header for '/' that
identifies '/index.html' instead, maybe they don't.

I could just be dreaming. :-(