[mod_python] import pyexpat coredumping, shared library problem

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Oct 22 19:47:36 EDT 2005

On 23/10/2005, at 9:35 AM, Jarkko Torppa wrote:

> I would think that this is pretty common, but quick search could
> not find this problem documented enywhere. Similar problems are
> documented in various places (mysql in FAQ).
>
> python has it's own libexpat, and apache has own or will use
> installed if configure finds it. If they happen to be of a
> different version this can cause interesting coredumps.
>
> This happened on solaris 8, python 2.4.2 and apache httpd-2.0.55

Except not always. I use Solaris systems where there are a number of
different combinations and it works okay. I have only ever heard of it
being a problem on Linux before.

> Fixed by installing systemwide expat and getting both python and
> apache to use it.
>
> I think that this should be mentioned in FAQ or somewhere.

It is alluded to at the end of the MySQL FAQ entry:

   http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?
query=expat&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search

But yes, there is insufficient detail in the FAQ about it.

There have also has been numerous posts on the mailing list before
which a
search of the mod_python web site will uncover. Some of the more recent
are getting quite detailed about what to look for and how to test for
it. :-)

Hmmm, something else I should put in a mini article and then
reference from a
FAQ entry.