[mod_python] Re: PyChart into web site error

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Oct 19 20:40:06 EDT 2005

G.M.Dall'Olio wrote:

> The problem is that this code returns 'None'; because the graph is drawn
> on stdout, and not returned.
> So I'm trying to find a way to take stdout in the script, but I receive
> security errors from apache.

Have you investigated the os.popen* variants? It might be easiest to
create a command line script that does what you want and open it for
reading & writing. I do this with some proprietary binaries used on one
of my sites.

Here's an example (your needs will differ a bit):

import os

def client_query(client, arg1, arg2, arg3):
     """
     Pass arguments to a client command and collect combined
     stdout & stderr into a list of lines.

     client: full path to executable script or binary
     """
     cmd = "%s %s %s %s" % (client, arg1, arg2, arg3)
     # os.popen4 combines stdout & stderr for reading
     w, r = os.popen4(cmd)
     client_response = r.readlines()
     r.close()
     w.close()