[mod_python] Smart Card and mod_python and browser pluggins

Philippe C. Martin pmartin at snakecard.com
Tue Oct 18 23:03:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have "disabled"  the xml feature for now to go on with my study.

I can talk to my smart card on the server side and get the information on the
browser.

On the browser side, I will, most likely, need to write browsers pluggins as
it seem the only way (besides stuff like activeX which does not cover all the
necessary platforms :-) to get access to a hardware device from the browser.

The current authentication mechanism my cards use requires that data go back
and forth a couple of times between the server (master/mother card) and the
client (child card).

Also the data exchanged, if possible, must not appear on the display. So I
need some type of handler that'll allow that "back and forth/hidden
exchange".

My current assumption is that the two pluggins I will attack: firefox/mozilla
and I/E will give me access to Javascript to discuss with mod_python.

I know a _little_ about Javascript and it always has to do with writing and
reading HTML tags (I'm not even sure that's the correct term)

Is there some common mechanism avaialbe ?

Is one of the solution to put the data on the page (maybe hidden tags ?).
Still there is a need for some type of synchronization between both world.

I hope my questions make sense.

Thanks and regards,

Philippe