[mod_python] Installing mod_python (newbie)

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Oct 18 14:40:04 EDT 2005

Philippe C. Martin wrote:

> As I have tried a few things, my httpd.conf has changed some (included at the
> end of this email).

Just send the mod_python parts, not the whole thing. :)

> PS: I'm also using DSO as I have not managed to get the static version to

Read the docs carefully:

  http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/inst-compiling.html

  2.2 Compiling

    At this time only DSO is supported by mod_python.

> configure, configure kept looking for config files/dirs in /usr/local/apache2
> while I have apache installed in /usr/local - so I creation some symbolic
> link (conf, logs, icons) in /usr/local/apache2: I used to have apache
> pre-compiled but recompiled it for the above problem.

Perhaps you should recompile apache and use the default location of
/usr/local/apache2. I find it to be cleaner. It's up to you, but you're
already using symlink hacks, so why not just use the default location?
In fact, if you're only compiling apache to install mod_python, you can
probably revert to the precompiled version for your platform, as long as
it's 2.x and includes all headers. What platform is this?

> ********* START - SATIC LINK*************
> ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/

This should point to the actual apxs binary:

  ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

> --with-apache=/home/philippe/downloaded/httpd-2.0.55/

This looks wrong, and you probably don't need this option, anyway.