[mod_python] apache log handler

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Oct 17 18:52:04 EDT 2005

If you want to champion the change, then log it as a feature request at:

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON?report=select

Also get on the developers mailing list. To subscribe to the list, send a message to:

   python-dev-subscribe at httpd.apache.org

I'm not one of the official developers and don't make decisions. I was
merely suggesting why it may not have been added in the past.

Graham

Nic Ferrier wrote ..
> "Graham Dumpleton" <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> writes:
>
> > Such things probably haven't been added for a couple of reasons.
> >
> > The first is that mod_python up to 3.1.4 worked with older versions of
> > Python such as 2.2, but the "logging" module didn't exist in those older
> > versions of Python. With mod_python 3.2 there is opportunity to use
> > newer features as Python 2.3 or later will be a requirement, but
>
> I can't see why this is a valid point... a 2.3 logging package
> wouldn't have to be used by people with 2.2. It's purely optional in
> terms of imports.
>
> But really useful to anyone with 2.3+
>

> > Second is that the intention is that mod_python be good at its core
> > functionality and not accumulate a lot of extra baggage. Given that the
> > logging interface is simple enough that users can write their own and
> > given that logging interfaces are often customised to specific
> > applications and therefore a generic one may not always be suitable
> > anyway, I am sure that some will argue that it shouldn't be in
> > mod_python.
>
> Really?? But they're so simple - difficult to argue over it I'd have
> thought.
>

> > What I might suggest is that you post up your code as an example on
> > the Python cookbook site.
> >
> >   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/
>
> Sure... But that's not the point. The value of having it included in
> mod_python is that it's packaged up. If I put it anywhere else then
> either people have to cut and paste into their code all the time or
> they have an additional dependancy on something. That's bad.
>

> I'd be happy to contribute and help mine.
>

> Nic

--attachment links follows this line--