[mod_python] The Whore Lived Like a German

Lee Brown administrator at leebrown.org
Wed May 18 18:18:07 EDT 2005

>From yesterday's Der Spiegel:

----------------------------------

Spam Victim?

Dear Readers,

Some of you may have received a deluge of spam e-mail from Germany in recent
days. Among our team of editors, some of us, too, have been hit, and believe
us, we are not happy. Most upsetting is that the mails have linked to a
number of our own stories. Even worse, the spam attack was apparently
coordinated by Germany-based neo-Nazis and, by linking to our site, suggest
that we are somehow in the business of spreading right-wing ideology. We
would like to assure you that nothing could be further from the truth.
Spiegel Online International is a mainstream news outlet dedicated to
accuracy and unbiased reporting.

If you have received any of these mails, please know that we are terribly
sorry, but also that we and our Web site had nothing to do with the
mailings.

The cause seems to be a variant of the mass mailing Sober worm, a virus that
taps into inboxes and then sends out infected mail to everyone listed. Last
week, we wrote about this virus hitting FIFA fans hoping to get tickets for
the World Cup. Now it is our turn to be victimized as well. The good news is
that our subscriber list was untouched. That is, our firewalls have worked
and the virus did not get sent to you by us. Still, our name has been used
on numerous emails as have links to our stories. For that, we are sorry. Now
that Germany is back at work from a three-day holiday weekend and computer
technicians are back at their posts, the flood of junk mail should soon
cease.

We appreciate your readership and hope you will return to the site sometime
soon -- and at a time of your own choosing.

Sincerely, The Editors Spiegel Online International

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown
(administrator at leebrown.org)