[mod_python] mod_python session trouble

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue May 10 01:32:15 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Recently I started experimenting with mod_python and the Session module.
I run into a very serious problem (tested in both Mozilla/Linux and
Safari/Mac), which appears to be a server side problem, in the
interaction of mod_python with Apache.
I open a session using sess=Session.Session(req).
When trying to load the same page (with session) again, it goes fine for
no more than about five times (sometimes not at all), and after that the
page hangs: waiting for response from server. I have noticed that there
are many new apache processes created, one for every attempted reload.
Restarting the server (service httpd restart) fixes the problem.
Switching off cookies in the browser also solves this problem, though it
of course also prevents session tracking and storage.

Software:
- Apache 2.0.50-5mdk (installed from Mandrake rpm)
- Python 2.3.4-6mdk
- mod_python 3.2.3 (rpm name: apache2-mod_python-2.0.50_3.1.3-1mdk)

Anyone having the same problem? Any solutions?
Instead of sessions I've tried to use cookies, but info is only really
updated after the page is refreshed from the browser! I can set a cookie
and when re-reading it immediate after it is still the old info. So
that's also not a great solution.

Wouter.