[mod_python] NIGHTMARE Installing mod_python on windows

py pan python.pan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:10:39 EDT 2005

Does mod_pyhton stop supporting windows ?

I'm trying to install it on windows, which is supporsed to be a
trivial task. But it's not.

---

First I searched the doc about installation in current version of mp,
and was surprised to find that the official documentation of mp
doesn't even have a section for installation in Windows !!.

---

Then I searched the net and found some info, which said that what's
required is a mod_python.dll and need to copy some folder(s) manually
into the pythonx.x\Lib.

I looked for mod_python.dll but couldn't find it. I figured that this
approach is for the older version of mod_python so I didn't go along.

---

Then I searched the net, and found so-called "mod_python window installer":
http://www.lehuen.com/nicolas/download/mod_python/

There are two files in that folder currently:
mod_python-3.1.3.win32-py2.3.exe
mod_python-3.2.0-dev-20050428.win32-py2.4.exe

I tried the first one, which seems to install nicely. But when I tried
it in python:

	>>> from mod_python import apache
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\mod_python\apache.py", line 28, in ?
	    import _apache
	ImportError: No module named _apache

I went to check the installed mp in
c:\python2.4\Lib\site-packages\mod_python, and found that there's no
_apache there. What also surprised me is that there's no subfolders in
that folder.

---

I tried the second file
(mod_python-3.2.0-dev-20050428.win32-py2.4.exe) and got the same
error.

---

So, what's the deal here ? mod_python gave up the windows users or what ?

pan