[mod_python] Re: Re: any way to get the current handler's directory?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun May 1 04:07:58 EDT 2005

On 01/05/2005, at 4:29 PM, vegetax wrote:

> Basically is a version of publisher handler,targeted to a specific
> webframework,the publisher handler is sloww cause it tries to be
> everything,too generic, my handler will just serve .py scripts and
> thats
> all, is not meant to serve several resources,or work with user_dir or
> have
> subdirectories, since subdirectories will be mapped to python packages
> by
> the handler.
> I am obsessed about making it fast, so thats why i wanted to get that
> info
> in one step instead of two.

Do you actually have any hard data to support your claim that publisher
is too slow?

Most web applications are slow because of stuff like database access,
to support sessions and session databases, choice of mechanism to
HTML etc. Ie., the delays aren't in the switching mechanism but what the
handlers actually do. Making trivial changes to make something run as
step isn't necessarily going to help. Overall network lag is probably
going to swamp any improvement you may get. If the issue is that the
is too loaded, then you need to look how Apache is configured, whether
alternate MPM would be better and whether you should employ load

Sorry, but I am always very skeptical when the first thing people say is
that something has to run as fast as possible or that something is just
slow. ;-)