[mod_python] Communicating between interpreters?

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Wed Mar 30 18:36:03 EST 2005

I did something like this about two years ago when I tried to make a
mod_python based streaming server as a proof of concept. I still have the
code somewhere, may be some day it'll be cleaned up and released.

I used an mmap file that I called a "cuecard". A child that would be
dedicated to writing was called a "prompter" and a process that read the
cuecard and sent the data to the client was called an "actor".

To syncronize reads and writes to the cuecard I used the apache.mpm_query
to figure out whether we're multithreaded and then based on that either
used the fcntl or the threading modules for locking.

It all wasn't terribly complicated and worked quite well actually. I
really with I had more time to dust this thing off...

Grisha