[mod_python] OS X / Apache 2 / mod_python bug

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Mar 16 16:48:40 EST 2005

On 17/03/2005, at 8:36 AM, Jamie Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> Because your Apache is running in prefork mode, it is normal for
>> it to create multiple processes even if not all may be used in
>> your simple test.
>
> I am using ps and there are multiple instances running.  I didnt start
> them so ill assume this is normal apache behaviour.  Is prefork the
> default then?  What is the alternative to this mode?

See:

   http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Main other one on UNIX of interest is "worker". This puts multiple
threads
for handling of requests within a process. On Win32 this multithreaded
approach is the default because of there being no equivalent to UNIX
process forking.

When using "worker" and Win32 however, you start potentially hitting
against some of the mod_python thread bugs which were in that patches
file I pointed to.

> Your tips were an interesting insight into how this stuff works, but I
> really ought to read the API for Apache to understand this stuff
> better - as with you though too much to do!

To be honest, I have never actually sat down and tried to understand the
Apache API itself. I know quite little, just enough to be able to poke
at the mod_python C code files and understand it a bit. :-)