[mod_python] mod_python interpreter creation issue

John Belmonte john at neggie.net
Tue Mar 15 22:25:20 EST 2005

Several months ago an installation of my application which uses
mod_python/Quixote/ZODB/ZEO suddenly stopped working.  It appears to
have been caused by a mod_python upgrade.  I'm on Debian and now using
3.1.3, although I don't know what version I was using previously.

I traced the error to a "ImportError: No module named copy_reg"
resulting from a cPickle.Pickler() call.  This is caused by Python
thinking that it's in restricted execution mode.  The error is happening
within ZEO's client thread code.

The following mod_python list message "Threads running in restricted
mode?" seems to detail similar problems, but no one responded to the issue.

   http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2005-January/017129.html

Tim Peters speculates that mod_python might be starting a new
interpreter from time to time using the Python C API.  The new
interpreter will have distinct copies of the sys module, the sys.modules
dict, and the sys.path list, triggering Python's restricted execution mode.

Anyone have some insight to this problem?  Or at least, would someone
explain how and when mod_python creates new interpreters?

--John Belmonte