[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jon-Pierre Gentil jgentil at sebistar.net
Fri Jul 29 14:20:21 EDT 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 06:21 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > They seem to be limitations of Redhat to me:  My debian machines do
> > not need any sort of development libraries at all to run Python 2.3
> > with mod_python 3.1 or 2.7.
>
> Debian, while quite large, does not encompass all other distros besides
> Redhat.  ;-)  Besides, until last month running Debian stable in a
> production environment was a PIA without a lot of foo similar to what I
> am going through here now.  I guess my line of thinking differs
> considerably from most on this list.  I don't want to replace all
> (most?) applications just to make one work.  Apache 1.3 and Python 2.2
> work just fine together.  Sadly the problem child is mod_python. :-(

I was merely citing that Debian does not require any -dev packages to be
installed in order to use any version of Python with mod_python or
apache.  You can have any combination of Python 1.5, Python 2.2, Python
2.3, Python 2.4 with mod_python2.7+apache or mod_python3.1+apache2.  If
you are building your own system, then of COURSE you are going to have
development packages.  If you are trying to install it from redhat's
package system, and it requires you to install -devel packages just for
it to work, then it is a shortcoming in Redhat, not mod_python.

  Jon-Pierre Gentil               PGP: 0x7E1CBA17
  jabber: jgentil at sebistar.net    web: www.sebistar.net
  "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."